Saturday, November 14, 2009

A Girls Day... Part One

Today I have the entire house to myself. Hubby is away overnight at a model railroad convention and I'm relishing my chance at a Girls' Day In.To celebrate, I took some pictures of my favourite 'girly' spots in the house and a few 'girls' in progress who are spending the day with me.
This is my bedroom. Kevin and I both love this room so much. Its beautiful and bright and spacious. The bay window holds one of my favourite sitting/reading nooks. The colours of this room just fell into place; the wallpaper and curtains were already there and everything else just fit. The furniture was my grandmothers and the bed was a 1st anniversary gift from Kevin to me.
I love this little scene, set atop a chest of drawers given to my mother by an Irish sister, Sister Josita, who was like a beloved aunt to us.This was my mothers Anne of Green Gables doll. She got her on Prince Edward Island.The teacup she gave to me one Mother's Day. The teapot holds the 'toss' bouquet from my wedding.

This is another of my poppets. She's being very patient, waiting for me to finally stitch the lace trim in place on her skirt. I pinned it there two days ago.
Here's a closeup of my sitting/reading nook.



And last, but not least, here is a closeup of Hester. You might remember her from an October post. She was just a pencil sketch then. Now she's been done up in pen and ink; which has brought me so many memories of my father. Pen and ink was one of his best and favourite mediums to work in.

I actually have several girls done in pen and ink right now. I think it's part of my November inspiration...the gothic charm of pen and ink and finding ways to work changes in tone and texture with it.
Right now, it's rainy and dreary outside. I have the kettle on and as soon as I make a pot of tea I'm going to get back to my girls.
I've got a stack of 'girly' dvds: Pride And Prejudice, Sense And Sensibility, Notting Hill, The Lake House,Hope Floats. I've been washing fabric all morning and going through books for sketch inspirations. I didn't tell hubby how much I was looking forward to this weekend, but I was secretly hoping for 'nesty' weather. You know, the kind that makes you want to stay in your jams or comfy clothes and light scented candles and do cozy things like sew or paint or sketch and drink tea and eat sweet warm baked things...like muffins and cookies. I'm so happy that it's yucky and rainy out right now. Nothing to lure me out of my jams and slippers.
The kettle is boiling so, I'm off to make tea. I hope you are all having an equally wonderful Saturday...




2 comments:

  1. Enjoy your Girls' Day In! I loved Anne of Green Gables when I was a girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jealous! LOL I love all your "Girly" hang out spots! :)

    ReplyDelete