Sunday, October 11, 2009

More Frightful Decor...

This "Jane Austen-esqe" bust was from Micheals Halloween aisle a few years back. I have her out year round,usually in the library on a pile of Austen books. This year, for Halloween, I let her wear my Professor McGonagle hat. She looks better in it than I do. The painting is a primitive Hudson Valley landscape that my father did. It's painted on two barn siding planks. This was one of his favourite views to paint...looking down the Hudson River towards Storm King and Breakneck Mountains.

These bony friends inhabit my CD shelf. The skeleton in the back was a clearance find in a funky import shop in Woodstock NY. He's missing half a leg; but I had to have him when I saw him. He looks like the Fluke creature from an early X Files episode--that was one of my favourites and that made me paranoid of port-a-potties forever. I love him. The skull on the wall is actually a mirror.

This is the back of my stove. I love this sign. The tiny cauldron on the stove is from Ireland; full of Irish coins. My parents brought it back from one of their many trips to the Emerald Isle. I collect salt and pepper shakers. I had an aunt who collected them and when I was little we would visit her house and I was always fascinated by all the sets she had. Hundreds. The devils are a salt and pepper set I found at a garage sale.


This isn't a great photo, but I love these gals and their chair. The chair I found in a corner of the attic of this house. I love it's sculptural- ness. I knew it was the perfect spot for these witch dollies.They sit in the upstairs hall. They can watch the comings and goings on the stairs, plus they have a lovely view out the back window. On a clear day, we can see to the Catskill Mountains. They like it there and have told me so many times. They don't even mind the dust.






11 comments:

  1. All of your decorations are great! I love the pumpkin holding the flowers!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh cool halloween, yeah! Love your collection.
    The scottish artist is awesome. I only came across him about a month ago. A friend Annie in blog world introduced me to him. He is such a fantastic artist. So pleased you got to keep close to his art for a year. Thank you for sharing your love for his art.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have very cool things in your home.
    That X Files episode was weird , I liked it.
    next week I was going to start a Jane Austen
    painting just because she is one of my favorite authors :)

    Rafael

    ReplyDelete
  4. That hat is so cool and how great to have artwork from your father!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all of your halloween decorations. I really love that pic of your window in the hallway. Very haunted looking.
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you everyone for coming by and taking my scary decor tour. I appreciate your visits and comments.
    Rafael, I will be looking out for that Jane Austen painting. Your Edgar Allen Poe was amazing.
    Darla, I'm my dads' curator. After he died I cleaned out his studio and basically kept everything. I love having his artwork around me and all the memories that go with it.
    The McGonagle hat was a find at a junky little kiosk in the Pallisades Mall...after the first Harry Potter movie. I've dressed up as her a few times too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bonjour Kelly! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and leaving such sweet comments! Nice meeting you! Your Halloween displays are just beautiful! When you have a minute, come over for a short visit, I am having a giveaway! Hugs, LuLu

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love all of this fabulously spooky decor! Thanks for enetering my give away! : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh! spooky indeed! I love halloween decorating....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Kelly! Great Decor! Love all the Halloween goodies you've collected. The open mouth skull mirror is spookfabulous! The dollies on your great attic find chair are perfect together.

    Thanks so much for your sweet comment about my submission! I really appreciate it. Have a great day!

    Hugs,
    Lisa :)

    ReplyDelete